Skip to main content

Marblehead, Mass. Third Congregational Church records, 1858-1876.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5053

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the institutional records of Third Congregational Church of Marblehead. Included in the records are meeting minutes, copies of official communications, including notice of separation from the First Church and invitations to councils of the vicinage, records of income and expenditures, details on the construction of a new church building, orders of worship, bylaws, and membership lists. Of particular note is the inclusion of a historical overview of First, Second, and Third churches. Also included are documents pertaining to the manner in which the church accepted new members, performed baptisms, and issued censures.

Dates

  • 1858-1876

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.
Digital Reproductions are protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use the Digital Reproductions in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the Congregational Library & Archives for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the Congregational Library & Archives. For additional information regarding copyright, please consult the Congregational Library & Archives' Digital Collections Copyright & Use policy.

Historical Note

The Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, also known as the South Church, was established in 1858 by 49 former members of the First Congregational Church in Marblehead due to a protracted fight over the installation of Rev. Benjamin R. Allen in 1854. Those 49 members had wished to install a more orthodox minister and they envisioned that their new church would adhere more with the tenants of “Evangelical Faith and Practice.” Due to the creation of the Third Church, the First Church underwent a name change and became the Old North Church. Plans for the construction of a new church building to house to newly formed church also began in 1858 and in 1860 the new building was dedicated. The first pastor of the church was Rev. T. D. P. Stone who was installed on August 31, 1864. Prior to Rev. Stone’s installation, a series of interim ministers preached at the church. The church remained active until 1877 when a fire completely destroyed the church building. Following the destruction of their building, the members of the Third Church decided to reform with the Old North Church.

Extent

0.44 Cubic Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, also known as the South Church, was established in 1858 by 49 former members of the First Congregational Church in Marblehead. In 1860, the South Church building was dedicated and in 1864, the first minister of the Third Church, Rev. T. D. P. Stone, was installed. The church remained active until 1877 when a fire completely destroyed the church building. Included in the records are meeting minutes, copies of official communications, financial records, bylaws, and membership lists.

Arrangement

This collection has been arranged in chronological order by start date.

Technical Requirements

To access digital user’s copies via online-interface, a java-enabled web browser is required. Internet Explorer 8.x and later, Firefox 5.x and later, Opera 12 and later, Safari 5.x and later, or any version of Google Chrome are recommended.

Acquisition Information

Loaned to the Congregational Library & Archives, June 2013, by the Old North Church in Marblehead; accession 2013-17.

Accruals

Additional accruals are expected for this collection in the form of full-text transcription. There is no anticipated date for this accrual.

Related Materials

Additional records related to the First Church in Marblehead, from which the Third Church formed, may be found in the Marblehead, Mass. Old North Church records, 1684-1866, 1971, RG5043.

Bibliography

Historical Notices, Confesion of Faith, and Covenant...of the Third Congragational Church of Christ in Marblehead. The Salem Gazette: Salem, 1859. 17.11.1 M32.75 ThiCC

Kelsey, F. D. History, Articles of Faith, Covenant, Form of Admission...of the South Church being the Third Congregational Church of Christ, Marblehead, Mass. The Salem Gazette: Salem, 1866. 17.11.1 M32.75 ThiCC

Processing Information

Originally processed by Sari Mauro in 2013 and 2014 using DACS Second Edition. Reprocessed by Zachary Bodnar, January 2019, using DACS Second Edition.
Title
Marblehead, Mass. Third Congregational Church records, 1858-1876.
Status
Completed
Author
Zachary Bodnar, Sari Mauro
Date
2019-01-17
Description rules
Dacs2 2013
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

Contact:
14 Beacon Street
Suite 200
Boston MA 02108
617-523-0470