Skip to main content

Cambridge, Mass. Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport records, 1863-1992.

 Collection
Identifier: RG2350

Scope and Contents

The Pilgrim Congregational Church records document the history and life of the church, beginning with its predecessor church (Stearns Chapel, 1865-1871) and continuing through its closure in 1992. The collection includes church records, financial records, ministers’ records, membership records, auxiliary group records (particularly the Women’s Guild), historical information, orders of service and programs, and photographs and lantern slides. Records are more comprehensive for the early years of the church (through the early 1930) and the later decades (late 1960s to 1992) than for the middle of the twentieth century (a notable exception is the 75th Anniversary Celebration in 1940, which is well-documented). Researchers should be sure to look at the historical sketches included with the anniversary celebration materials in Series 7.

Dates

  • 1863-1992

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Historical Note

Stearns Chapel was erected in 1863 and was located on Harvard Street, near Windsor; it was designed primarily as a Mission Sabbath School (established by Prospect Congregational and neighborhood churches in Cambridgeport in 1852) and operated for a number of years by the First and Second Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches. In 1865 Mr. Edward Abbott began to hold regular services; by fall the church was formally organized and Abbott installed as minister. The Second Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches withdrew ca. 1866; in 1871 the First Church also withdrew. The church grew rapidly and a new meetinghouse was completed in 1871 at the corner of Magazine and Cottage Street; the name was changed to Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport in the same year. The church closed in 1992.
Ministers:
  • William R. Stone: 1863
  • Edward Abbott: 1865-1869
  • George R. Leavitt: 1870-1885
  • George A. Tewksbury: 1885-1889
  • Charles Olmstead: 1889-1896
  • Frank E. Ramsdell: 1897-1900
  • Charles Wesley Gallagher, D.D.: 1900-1902
  • William H. Spence: 1902-1906
  • Richard Wright: 1907-1920
  • Clarence Wells Dunham, D.D.: 1920-1922
  • Hubert E. Beckwith: 1922-1927
  • John E. Jaderquist, Ph.D.: 1927-1928
  • Stanley H. Addison: 1928-1950
  • Ralph Ernest Bayes, D.D.: 1950-1951
  • Melvin M. Nyman: 1951-1962
  • Ralph Ernest Bayes, D.D.: 1962-1963
  • Philip D. Chamberlain: 1963
  • Ralph Ernest Bayes, D.D.: 1964
  • Donald A. Wells: 1964-1969
  • Glen W. Barker: 1970
  • David Steele: 1971-1984
  • D. Stewart, O.D.: 1985
  • Norman Bendroth: 1986-1992
  • Extent

    7.76 Cubic Feet (10 boxes)

    Language of Materials

    English

    Abstract

    Stearns Chapel was erected in 1863 and was located on Harvard Street, near Windsor; it was designed primarily as a Mission Sabbath School and operated for a number of years by the First and Second Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches. The name was changed to Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport in 1871. The collection includes church records, financial records, ministers’ records, membership records, auxiliary group records, historical information, orders of service and programs, and photographs and lantern slides.

    Arrangement

    The Pilgrim Congregational Church records have been arranged into the five series listed below. Series 1 has been further subdivided into five sub-series. Within each series materials have been primarily arranged in chronological order by start date. When appropriate, like and continuous materials have been grouped together.
    Series 1: Church administrative records, 1863-1992
    Sub-Series 1: Stearns Chapel records, 1863-1972
    Sub-Series 2: Membership and vital records, 1865-1938
    Sub-Series 3: Committee records, 1871-1991
    Sub-Series 4: Church records, 1871-1992
    Sub-Series 5: Church programming, 1871-1992
    Series 2: Financial and building records, 1864-1992
    Series 3: Church groups and societies, 1870-1990
    Series 4: Ministerial records, 1889-1990
    Series 5: Visual materials, 1898-1990

    Acquisition Information

    Materials gathered by Rev. Norman Bendroth and donated to the Congregational Library & Archives, September 1992, by Warren L. Milley (Chairman, Board of Trustees) for Pilgrim Congregational Church.

    Assigned Accession number: 1992-0

    Related Materials

    The finished course a sermon commemorative of Thomas Ferrier Jr., who died July 20th 1865 preached at the Stearns Chapel: Cambridgeport, Sabbath, July 30th by Rev. Edward Abbot (1865). Call No.: 15.0.7 6635 FEA-FIT

    A Brief History of Pilgrim Church by Rev George R. Leavitt (1889). Call No.: 30.8.1 1004

    Cambridge, MA: Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport (1869-1940). Call No.: 17.11.1 C14.24 PILCC

    Processing Information

    Processed by Helen Schubert, April 2011. Reprocessed by William McCarthy, March 2017, using DACS Second Edition.
    Title
    Cambridge, Mass. Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport records, 1863-1992.
    Status
    Completed
    Author
    William McCarthy
    Date
    2017-03-20
    Description rules
    3
    Language of description
    Undetermined
    Script of description
    Code for undetermined script
    Language of description note
    English

    Repository Details

    Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

    Contact:
    14 Beacon Street
    Suite 200
    Boston MA 02108
    617-523-0470