Skip to main content

Jaffrey, N.H. United Church of Jaffrey records, 1827-1980.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0106

Scope and Contents

The United Church records document the history and life of the church, including reports, meeting minutes, vital statistics, financial information, church bulletins, auxiliary groups, correspondence, and property deeds. Please be sure to read the history of the church and note both Universalist and Baptist church records are included from those extinct congregations. All series records are fragmentary and incomplete.

Dates

  • 1827-1980

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Historical Note

The roots of the United Church of Jaffrey start in 1850 when 23 members of Jaffrey’s First Congregational Church established Jaffrey East Orthodox Congregational Church, erecting a meeting-house the same year. The church built a parsonage and vestry in 1876. When the town’s Universalist minister, Myron L. Cutler, died in 1930 the members of his church chose to join with East’s congregation rather than find a new minister. The members of East also had connections with the Baptist church and still with First Congregational. Further inter-denominational ties were drawn when Jaffrey’s Baptist minister, Roger Floyd, left his position in 1949. The small Baptist church chose to close rather than find a new minister; most of the members joined East. At this point, there were equal number of Baptists and Congregationalists, prompting a shift in name and organization. East Orthodox Church became the Federated Church with separate covenants for each denomination. In 1957 the Congregational members of the church voted to become a Covenant member of the New Hampshire Conference of the New Hampshire Conference of the United Church of Christ. After maintaining membership with both Baptist and UCC denominations, the members decided to withdraw from the Baptist Convention in 1970 to simplify day to day work as well as strengthen the bond as one United Church.

The Federated Church continued services in the old Baptist building, which was larger than the Congregational building. In 1959 the Federated Church dissolved its two components and formed the United Church of Jaffrey. Further building changes started in 1967. The old parish hall and parsonage were in disrepair. The current trend by mid-20th century was for ministers to live in their own house. This, plus the cost of restoration, meant the church chose to tear down the parsonage and old hall and build a new hall in 1970.

Ministers

  • East Congregational Church
  • John Edward Bullard Jewett 1850-1852
  • George Washington Adams 1854-1857
  • Franklin Dexter Austin 1858-1863
  • C.W. Allen 1863-1870
  • John C. Gowan 1870-1871
  • Darius Newton Goodrich 1872-1874
  • W. H. Dowden 1875-1880
  • John Calvin Staples 1880-1883
  • Ezra Jackson Riggs 1883-1886
  • Moses T. Runnells 1886-1889
  • Edward I. Ross 1890-1891
  • William H. Stuart 1891-1899
  • J. Sherman Grove 1899-1903
  • Millard Fillmore Hardy 1904-1910
  • David Howie 1911-1914
  • Charles G. Johnson 1915-1919
  • John H. Hoffman 1920-1922
  • Ambrose Jenkins 1923
  • Bruce W. Cronmiller 1924-1930
  • Henry Rees Jones 1930-1933
  • G. Gerald Parker 1933-1939
  • Levering Reynolds, Jr. 1939-1945
  • Richard Stoughton, Jr. 1945-1957
  • Federated Church
  • Byron Higgon 1957-1961
  • United Church
  • Interim Ministers 1961-1963
  • Mario Cestaro 1963-1969
  • United Church, UCC
  • Franklin L. Irvine 1969-1972
  • Emily B Preston 1972-1993
  • Lois Sundeen 1993-1995
  • William Beardslee 1995-2007
  • J.M. Shepherd 2007-2009
  • Teri Motley 2009-2014
  • Christopher C Owen 2014-2016
  • Mark Koyama 2016-present
  • Extent

    1.79 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)

    Language of Materials

    English

    Abstract

    The roots of the United Church of Jaffrey start in 1850 when 23 members of Jaffrey's First Congregational Church established Jaffrey East Orthodox Congregational Church, erecting a meeting-house the same year. The United Church records document the history and life of the church, including reports, meeting minutes, vital statistics, financial information, church bulletins, auxiliary groups, correspondence, and property deeds. Records are fragmentary and incomplete.

    Arrangement

    The collection has been organized into the five series listed below. Within each series, records have been arranged chronologically.
    Series 1: First Baptist Church Records, 1827-1964
    Series 2: East Congregational Church Records, 1849-1968
    Series 3: First Universalist Society Records, 1875-1939
    Series 4: Federated Church Records, 1949-1959
    Series 5: United Church Records, 1956-1980

    Acquisition Information

    Permanently loaned to the Congregational Library & Archives by The United Church of Jaffrey, June 1991; Acc# 1992-1.

    Related Materials

    Cutter, Daniel B. History of the town of Jaffrey New Hampshire, from the date of the Masonian Charter to the present time, 1749-1880, Concord NH: Republican Press Association. 1881. (T J18.4C)

    Gerould, Samuel L. The Congregational and Presbyterian Churches and Ministers of New Hampshire Connected With the General Association. Lebanon NH : H.E. Waite & Co. 1900. (9.3.67 (2))

    Lawrence, Robert F. The New Hampshire Churches: comprising histories of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches in the state. . . Claremont Manufacturing Co. 1856. (9.3.36)

    Livingston, W.W. and DeBevoise, G.H. Seventy Years of Cheshire Conference. Keene NH : Darling & Co. 1897. (9.6.37(1))

    Bibliography

    The United Church of Jaffrey, UCC. Celebrating 150 Years 1850-2000. Jaffrey: United Church of Jaffrey, U.C.C., 2000

    Processing Information

    Re-processed by Zachary Bodnar, August 2017, using DACS Second Edition.
    Title
    Jaffrey, N.H. United Church of Jaffrey records, 1827-1980.
    Status
    Completed
    Author
    Zachary Bodnar
    Date
    2017-08-14
    Description rules
    3
    Language of description
    Undetermined
    Script of description
    Code for undetermined script
    Language of description note
    English

    Repository Details

    Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

    Contact:
    14 Beacon Street
    Suite 200
    Boston MA 02108
    617-523-0470