Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Mount Vernon Church was founded in 1842 by a group of enthusiastic lay men and women who felt the need of a church in Boston which would lead in the fight against indifference and Unitarianism. They invited the Rev. Edward Norris Kirk, a famous evangelist, to be their pastor. He spent thirty two years in charge of the church, from 1842 until his death in 1874. Unfortunately, most of the records of his pastorate perished in a fire in 1879. He was succeeded by Samuel Edward Herrick, pastor...
Abstract Fourth Congregational Church of Chicago traces its origins back to a Congregational Sunday school which started in 1867 and met in a blacksmith shop. From this Sunday school sprang three churches, Grace, Cortland Street, and Maplewood. These three churches merged in 1916 and took the name Fourth Church. The records include finances, youth education and outreach, membership records, correspondence, reports, and church newsletters.
Abstract In 1888, a group of individuals gathered in order to discuss a house of worship in the area of North Englewood in Chicago, Illinois. C. W. Monroe donated a cottage for use as a house of worship and services began soon after. By the following year, the small cottage had become insufficient to sit all the congregants and a new temporary place of worship was found in a nearby store. The Green Street Congregational Church became fully organized in the summer of 1889 and a new meeting house was...
Abstract The Churchman's League was created for the purpose of promoting programs of study research, education, legislation and action. They also sought to generate the forces that undergird the values which make for civic righteousness, soical justice, moral decenct and a better life for mankind. In 1963, the Churchman's League (often referring to itself as "The League") expanded its original structure and became "three leagues in one". These three branches were the Massachusetts Temperance League,...
Abstract The roots of the United Church of Jaffrey start in 1850 when 23 members of Jaffrey's First Congregational Church established Jaffrey East Orthodox Congregational Church, erecting a meeting-house the same year. The United Church records document the history and life of the church, including reports, meeting minutes, vital statistics, financial information, church bulletins, auxiliary groups, correspondence, and property deeds. Records are fragmentary and incomplete.
Abstract William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954...