Maynard, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1850-2017.
Scope and Contents
The Maynard, Mass. Union Congregational Church records documents the various activities of its members and the history of the parish. The documents contain church and committee records such as annual and treasurer reports, calendars, bulletins, and newsletters. Also included in the collection is various financial information, information on various clubs such as the Men’s Fraternal League and Women’s Fellowship and a variety of photos and other digital media.
- Union Congregational Church (Maynard, Mass.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.
Restrictions on Use
Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.
The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. It was first founded on July 23, 1850 as the Evangelical Union Society. Its creation formed when eight members of the community met at the newly built railroad station and voted to organize a Sunday School. Amory Maynard was the first Superintendent. The Evangelical Union Society was incorporated in 1852 with the first parish being called the Union Church. On August 10, 1927, a constitution and bylaws were adopted and the church renamed itself The Union Congregational Church. Lorenzo Maynard donated the funds for an additional educational building in the 1890’s to house the growing Sunday school, outfitting it with a beautiful stained glass window visible from Main Street. The church continued to thrive through the 20th century and in the 1960’s the church became affiliated with the United Church of Christ. The church continued operation until 2017 when the building was sold. Information gathered at: http://maynarducc.org/AboutUs3.html
- George W. Frost
- J. K. Derring
- A. Morton
- E. P. Tenney
- F. Wallace
- A. H. Fletcher
- Thomas Allender
- O. Hall
- T. D. P. Stone
- W. Hazelwood
- E. S. Huntress
- P. B. Sheire
- S. S. Matthews
- C. E. Milliken
- Edwin Smith
- David H. Brewer
- M. Blanchard
- Thomas Jackson
- C. H. Washburn
- E. F. Hunt
- Fredrick N. Rutan, PhD
- Elias N. Atiyeh
- William L. Boicourt
- Matthew A. Vance
- Leonard W. Fowler
- Norman C. MacLean
- Robert E. Burt
- B. Paul Pardy, D.D.
- Orville D. Ullom
- Hugh Penny, D.D. (Interim)
- John Condon
- Hugh Penny, D.D. (Interim)
- Thomas Barker
- Bruce H. Bowen
- Robert Wood
- Milton Bartlett (Interim)
- J. Wadsworth III
- Ivy Merrill (Interim)
- Richard Lee Weber (Interim)
- Patricia J. Smith
- M L. Flad (Interim)
- G. J. Wright
- Hannalore and Thomas Nalesnik
- J. A. Bronwell (Interim)
- Vicki Hammel (Interim)
14.41 Cubic Feet (22 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. It was first founded on July 23, 1850 as the Evangelical Union Society. Its creation formed when eight members of the community met at the newly built railroad station and voted to organize a Sunday School. Amory Maynard was the first Superintendent. The Evangelical Union Society was incorporated in 1852 with the first parish being called the Union Church. On August 10, 1927, a constitution and bylaws were adopted and the church renamed itself The Union Congregational Church. The records contain information on financial, church and committee information, information on various clubs and photographs.
This collection has been divided into five series, with three of those series further divided into subseries. Materials have been arranged in by topic and chronological order.
Series 1: Church and committee records, 1852-2017.
Subseries 1: Correspondences, 1852-2010.
Subseries 2: Reverend and Deacon Files, 1852-2013.
Subseries 3: Meeting Minutes and Reports, 1852-2015.
Subseries 4: Membership and Directories, 1852-2017.
Subseries 5: Anniversaries, 1856-2002.
Subseries 6: By-Laws and Manuals, 1878-1997.
Subseries 7: Annual Reports, 1943-2016.
Subseries 8: Vital Statistics, 1945-2017.
Series 2: Financial Information, 1850-2016.
Series 3: Church Affiliated Organizations, 1850-2006.
Subseries 1: Assabet Sabbath School, 1850-1872.
Subseries 2: Various Groups, 1850-1985.
Subseries 3: Maynard Evangelical Union Sunday School, 1874-1893.
Subseries 4: Ladies' Benevolent Soceity and Women's Fellowship, 1902-1978.
Subseries 5: Philathea Class, 1905-1956.
Subseries 6: Men's Fraternal League, 1913-1952.
Subseries 7: Missionary Groups, 1914-1995.
Subseries 8: Helping Hands, 1994-2006.
Series 4: Calendars, Bulletins and Newsletters, 1889-2017.
Series 5: Photographs, Objects and Digital Media, 1852-2006.
The USB and CD require the use of a computer with appropirate USB and CD ports. Currently, the CLA does not have the ability to play VHS.
Items were gifted to the Congregational Library and Archives in 2017 by Vicki Hammel; Accession: 2017-10 and 2017-12
Prcoessed by William McCarthy, May 2018, using DACS Second Edition.
- Baptismal records.
- Church architecture -- Designs and plans.
- Church bulletins.
- Church membership.
- Church records and registers.
- Church societies.
- Marriage records.
- Maynard (Mass.) -- Church history.
- Maynard, Amory, 1804-1890
- Pews and pew rights.
- Registers of births, etc.
- Sunday schools.
- Union Congregational Church (Maynard, Mass.)
- Union Evangelical Society (Maynard, Mass.)
- Women -- Societies and clubs.
- Wood, Robert Watson
- Maynard, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1850-2017.
- William McCarthy
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note