Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Calvinistic Congregational Church of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, was formally gathered as the Calvinistic Congregational Society on June 14, 1805. The first meeting house was built in 1806, the second in 1845, and the third, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, in 1897. The church joined the United Church of Christ in 1961. In 1967, the church joined with the First Methodist Church of Fitchburg to form the Faith United Parish. This collection documents the history and...
Abstract Haverhill was first settled by Puritans in 1640. Rev. John Ward was officially installed as the pastor of the First Parish in 1645 and the first meeting house was constructed in 1648. The second meeting house was completed in 1699 and the third was completed in 1766. In 1833 the First Parish became Unitarian and the Congregationalist dissenters formed the Independent Congregational Church and Society which was later renamed to the Centre Congregational Church and Society. In 1859 a large group...
Abstract The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. It was first founded on July 23, 1850 as the Evangelical Union Society. Its creation formed when eight members of the community met at the newly built railroad station and voted to organize a Sunday School. Amory Maynard was the first Superintendent. The Evangelical Union Society was incorporated in 1852 with the first parish being called the Union Church. On August 10, 1927, a constitution and bylaws were adopted and the church...
Abstract The Congregational Church of South Hadley Falls began as the South Society in South Hadley when, in February of 1824, the population removed from the center of South Hadley felt they needed a more conveniently located church. Later that year, the Society united in a church organization called The South Church of Christ in South Hadley. The church did not become known as The Congregational Church of South Hadley Falls until 1918. The congregation voted to close in 2012 due to declining...