Skip to main content

Winthrop, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1896-2011.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5048

Scope and Contents

This collection contains records pertaining to the formation and maintenance of the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop, Massachusetts from the period of 1896-2011. Records include constitution, by-laws, financial records, annual reports, and records of the clerk, treasurer and registers. Records of annual reports are missing from 1941-1950, 1961-1968, 1995, and 1997. Treasurer’s reports from 1965-1979 are missing, although annual reports can be used to reference the years 1969-1979. The Women’s Association is well represented in its records, with additional records from the Get-Together Club, Brotherhood and Sunday school. The records of the Couples Club, Pilgrim Youth Fellowship and Stewardship Committee are poorly represented. Also included are membership lists, baptismal, transfer and dismission records. Memorabilia include the Sermons of Rev. Karen Fritz from 1991-1992, correspondence, newspaper clippings, transcript of a church radio broadcast, and town of Winthrop vital statistics circa 1957.

Dates

  • 1896-2011

Creator

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Historical Note

Union Congregational Church was formally organized in 1896 in the Point Shirley neighborhood of Winthrop, Massachusetts. On February 22, 1896, a meeting led by Arthur Truslow met to discuss the creation of a "Christian Church at the Beach". The neighborhood consisted of roughly 200 families during the winter, the population increasing to 2,500 during the summer months. At that present time, families had to travel to Congregational Churches in Revere or Chelsea for service Winthrop had only just become an independent town from Chelsea in 1852, and had not yet established an independent church. E.J. Underhill offered the Tewksbury Memorial Chapel as the place of Worship, and so the church was founded with 17 members. Later that year, Union Congregational Church joined the Suffolk North Association of Congregational Churches. The Union Church of Christ at Point Shirley was founded shortly thereafter, in 1911, but due to low membership merged with the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop in 1926. UCC Winthrop had many active auxiliary organizations, most notable and oldest of which was the Women’s Association. The Association sponsored many church and community programs, and contributed financial aid the church when necessary. They maintained a robust membership through the late 1970s. After membership started to dwindle, the Association continued to be a prominent organization. At its height, the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop had approximately 300 members, but serious membership fluctuations, financial difficulties, and general community apathy led to the church’s closure in May of 2011.

Extent

3.27 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Union Congregational Church was formally organized in 1896 in the Point Shirley neighborhood of Winthrop, Massachusetts. On February 22, 1896, a meeting led by Arthur Truslow met to discuss the creation of a "Christian Church at the Beach". The neighborhood consisted of roughly 200 families during the winter, the population increasing to 2,500 during the summer months. At that present time, families had to travel to Congregational Churches in Revere or Chelsea for service Winthrop had only just become an independent town from Chelsea in 1852, and had not yet established an independent church. E.J. Underhill offered the Tewksbury Memorial Chapel as the place of Worship, and so the church was founded with 17 members. Later that year, Union Congregational Church joined the Suffolk North Association of Congregational Churches. The Union Church of Christ at Point Shirley was founded shortly thereafter, in 1911, but due to low membership merged with the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop in 1926. UCC Winthrop had many active auxiliary organizations, most notable and oldest of which was the Women’s Association. The Association sponsored many church and community programs, and contributed financial aid the church when necessary. They maintained a robust membership through the late 1970s. After membership started to dwindle, the Association continued to be a prominent organization. At its height, the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop had approximately 300 members, but serious membership fluctuations, financial difficulties, and general community apathy led to the church’s closure in May of 2011. This collection contains records pertaining to the formation and maintenance of the Union Congregational Church at Winthrop, Massachusetts from the period of 1896-2011. Records include constitution, by-laws, financial records, annual reports, and records of the clerk, treasurer and registers. Records of annual reports are missing from 1941-1950, 1961-1968, 1995, and 1997. Treasurer’s reports from 1965-1979 are missing, although annual reports can be used to reference the years 1969-1979. The Women’s Association is well represented in its records, with additional records from the Get-Together Club, Brotherhood and Sunday school. The records of the Couples Club, Pilgrim Youth Fellowship and Stewardship Committee are poorly represented. Also included are membership lists, baptismal, transfer and dismission records. Memorabilia include the Sermons of Rev. Karen Fritz from 1991-1992, correspondence, newspaper clippings, transcript of a church radio broadcast, and town of Winthrop vital statistics circa 1957.

Arrangement

The Union Congregational Church records are arranged into six series and each individual series is arranged chronologically.
Series 1: Church and Annual Reports, 1896-2011.
Series 2: Financial Records, 1898-1996.
Series 3: Historical Items, 1902-1996.
Series 4: Church Staff Records, 1903-1989.
Series 5: Auxiliary Organizations, 1903-1991.
Series 6: Church Vital Statistics, 1934-2008.

Acquisition Information

Gift of unknown source in June 2011; Accession 2011-68.

Related Materials

"A history of the Union Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Winthrop, Massachusetts" by Patricia I. Brown (1989), CLA 17.11.1. W73.85 UNICC HB 1989
"Ordination and installation of Arthur Truslow at the Union Congregational Church of Winthrop, Massachusetts, Tewksbury Memorial Chapel, Wednesday evening, September 30, 1896, seven o'clock".; Harvard Library 005850405 (Hollis Number)

Processing Information

Accessioned by Cristina Prochilo, December 2012, using MPLP. Processed by Elyse Edwards, November 2013, using DACS Second Edition. Re-processed by William McCarthy in September 2018.
Title
Winthrop, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1896-2011.
Status
Completed
Author
Cristina Prochilo, Elyse Edwards, William McCarthy
Date
2018-09-11
Description rules
3
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

Contact:
14 Beacon Street
Suite 200
Boston MA 02108
617-523-0470