Skip to main content

Barnstable, Mass. Unitarian Church records, 1717-1930.

 Collection
Identifier: RG1327

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the earliest records of East Parish Church in Barnstable, Massachusetts, and the early records of the Barnstable Unitarian Church. Records include church meeting minutes, parish records, membership records, records of baptism, ecclesiastical council results, and records of church discipline.

Dates

  • Record Keeping: 1717-1930
  • 1967

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Historical Note

In 1717 the town of Barnstable voted to split the town into two parishes each served by their own church. The West Parish became the successor of the original church in Barnstable whose history traced back to London in 1616. The East Parish was officially gathered in 1723 as a new church. The first meeting house of the East Parish Church was built on Cobb Hill. In 1836 the meeting house was removed and that same year construction on the second meeting house was completed. At some point in the nineteenth-century, probably 1845, the East Parish Church became Unitarian and was renamed as the Barnstable Unitarian Church.

In 1905 the second meeting house was destroyed in a fire. Construction on the third, and final, meeting house was completed in 1907. In 1960, the Parish Hall, a major extension of the church, was completed. Another addition to the building was constructed in 1979.

The Unitarian Church of Barnstable, now affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association, continues to serve the local community today.

Extent

.02 Cubic Feet (1 reel)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The East Parish Church in Barnstable was officially gathered in 1723 after the town of Barnstable was split into East and West Parishes in 1717. In 1836 the original meeting house was replaced by a new structure. This meeting house was destroyed by fire in 1905; construction on the third and final meeting house was completed in 1907. During the nineteenth-century the church joined the Unitarian movement and became the Barnstable Unitarian Church. The church continues to serve the local community today. This collection contains the earliest records of East Parish Church in Barnstable, as well as the early records of the Barnstable Unitarian Church, and includes meeting minutes, vital records, ecclesiastical council results, and records of church discipline.

Technical Requirements

A microfilm reader is required in order to access microform materials. One microfilm reader is available to the public upon request.

Custodial History

Microfilm was produced by Graphic Microfilm of New England, Waltham, Massachusetts, in 1967.

Acquisition Information

Microfilm was deposited at the Congregational Library & Archives, likely by the Barnstable Unitarian Church, circa 1967; no accession number.

Location of Originals

The records of the Barnstable Unitarian Church are held by the Sturgis Library in Barnstable, Massachusetts.

Digital Copies

Some materials that appear on the microfilm reel have been digitized through the New England's Hidden Histories Project. Digital reproductions are available to view online.

Related Materials

The early history of the Barnstable Unitarian Church is intrinsically linked to the history of the West Parish Church in Barnstable. Digital representations of the earliest records of the West Parish Church are available through the Congregational Library & Archives to view online.

Processing Information

Processed by Zachary Bodnar, April 2019, using DACS Second Edition.
Title
Barnstable, Mass. Unitarian Church records, 1717-1930.
Status
Completed
Author
Zachary Bodnar
Date
2019-04-04
Description rules
Dacs2 2013
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

Contact:
14 Beacon Street
Suite 200
Boston MA 02108
617-523-0470