Skip to main content

Lincoln, R.I. Sayles Memorial Church records, 1860-2012.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5381

Scope and Contents

This collection of the Sayles Memorial Church includes annual reports, projects and programs, historical information, pastoral records, printed material, membership and executive council reports, various organizational records and financial information.

Dates

  • 1860-2012

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Historical Note

William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954 the Parish House was given to the church and by 1959 so had the Chapel. The original parish house was renovated between 1961 and 1962 but fell victim to a fire only a year later. With fire insurance and help from the community, the church rebuilt again and the newest Chapel was completed in 1965. The church continued to function until January 1, 2012, when Pawtucket Congregational and Sayles Memorial Churches merged to form Chapel Street Congregational Church.

Extent

5.24 Cubic Feet (6 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954 the Parish House was given to the church and by 1959 so had the Chapel. The original parish house was renovated between 1961 and 1962 but fell victim to a fire only a year later. With fire insurance and help from the community, the church rebuilt again and the newest Chapel was completed in 1965. The church continued to function until January 1, 2012, when Pawtucket Congregational and Sayles Memorial Churches merged to form Chapel Street Congregational Church. This collection of the Sayles Memorial Church includes annual reports, projects and programs, historical information, pastoral records, printed material, membership and executive council reports, various organizational records and financial information.

Arrangement

The Sayles Memorial Church records are arranged into three series and seventeen sub-series. Each individual sub-series is arranged chronologically.
Series 1: Organizations, 1860-2011
Subseries 1: Sunday School Records, 1860-1977.
Subseries 2: Women's Auxiliary Records, 1900-1930
Subseries 3: OJS Reports, 1916-1954.
Subseries 5: Miscellaneous organizations, 1927-2000
Subseries 6: Prudential Committee Meeting Minutes, 1943-1982
Subseries 7: Pastoral Supply Committee Records, 1953-1954
Subseries 8: Pilgrim Fellowship Reports, 1962-1966
Subseries 9: Women's Guild Reports, 1962-1970
Subseries 10: Diaconate Board Meeting Minutes, 1968-2011
Subseries 11: Naomi Chapter Records, 1972-1986
Series 2: Church Records, 1860-2012
Subseries 1: Annual Reports, 1860-2011.
Subseries 2: Projects and Programs, 1881-1998.
Subseries 3: Historical Information, 1910-2012.
Subseries 4: Pastoral Records, 1918-2005.
Subseries 5: Printed Materials, 1930-2010.
Subseries 6: Membership, 1955-1998.
Subseries 7: Executive Council Records, 1982-2012.
Series 3: Finances, 1894-2000

Acquisition Information

The Congregational Library & Archives received this collection in 2017; Accession: 2018-24.

Bibliography

Laxton-Kelley, Mildred. "Brief History of Sayles Memorial Church". 1976.

Processing Information

Accessioned by Jessica Steytler in 2018. Processed by William McCarthy in November 2018.
Title
Lincoln, R.I. Sayles Memorial Church records, 1860-2012.
Status
Completed
Author
William McCarthy
Date
2018-11-19
Description rules
3
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

Contact:
14 Beacon Street
Suite 200
Boston MA 02108
617-523-0470