Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9

Boston, Mass. Mount Vernon Congregational Church records, 1841-1969.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0026
Overview The Mount Vernon Church was founded in 1842 by a group of enthusiastic lay men and women who felt the need of a church in Boston which would lead in the fight against indifference and Unitarianism. They invited the Rev. Edward Norris Kirk, a famous evangelist, to be their pastor. He spent thirty two years in charge of the church, from 1842 until his death in 1874. Unfortunately, most of the records of his pastorate perished in a fire in 1879. He was succeeded by Samuel Edward Herrick, pastor...

Campbell Family papers, 1912-1993.

 Collection
Identifier: MS0043
Overview Iain C. G. Campbell was born in St. Albans, England on June 15, 1912. He graduated from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland in 1935. He was ordained as a Congregationalist in Omaha, NE in June 1952. He served as pastor in Albion, NE from 1950-1970, Fairmont, NE from 1957-1958, Weeping Water in NE, 1958-1974 and was a pastor emeritus from 1974-1997. He died in Lincoln, NE on December 22, 1997. Iain, an archaeologist and teacher, met missionary Gladys Perry Campbell in Turkey. Gladys worked...

Chicago, Ill. Fourth Congregational Church records, 1893-1992.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5135
Abstract Fourth Congregational Church of Chicago traces its origins back to a Congregational Sunday school which started in 1867 and met in a blacksmith shop. From this Sunday school sprang three churches, Grace, Cortland Street, and Maplewood. These three churches merged in 1916 and took the name Fourth Church. The records include finances, youth education and outreach, membership records, correspondence, reports, and church newsletters.

Churchman's League records, 1940-1989.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5332
Overview The Churchman's League was created for the purpose of promoting programs of study research, education, legislation and action. They also sought to generate the forces that undergird the values which make for civic righteousness, soical justice, moral decenct and a better life for mankind. In 1963, the Churchman's League (often referring to itself as "The League") expanded its original structure and became "three leagues in one". These three branches were the Massachusetts Temperance League,...

Dorchester, Boston, Mass. Second Church records, 1770-1991.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0069
Overview The Second Church in Dorchester was first organized on January 1, 1808 by 64 members of First Church. The first official pastor for the newly formed Second Church was Dr. John Codman. Codman was a member of an influential family and graduated from Harvard. His pastorate continues to be the longest for the church and during this time was regularly visited by Daniel Webster and (on occasion) John Adams. The last pastor of Second Church in Dorchester was Reverend Donald P. Brickley. He facilitated...

Lawrence, Mass. South Congregational Church records, 1868-2015.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5323
Overview The South Congregational Church was established in 1868; it was a formalization of what M. C. Andrews and J. B. Fairfield started in 1852 when they established a Sunday School. This collection contains meeting minutes and reports; financials; membership ledgers including births, deaths, and marriages; social and auxiliary groups; newsletters; and orders of worship.

Maynard, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1850-2017.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5354
Overview The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. It was first founded on July 23, 1850 as the Evangelical Union Society. Its creation formed when eight members of the community met at the newly built railroad station and voted to organize a Sunday School. Amory Maynard was the first Superintendent. The Evangelical Union Society was incorporated in 1852 with the first parish being called the Union Church. On August 10, 1927, a constitution and bylaws were adopted and the church...

Northbridge, Mass. Centre Congregational Church records, 1782-2011.

 Series
Identifier: RG5030
Overview The town of Northbridge, Massachusetts, was incorporated in 1772 and the First Church in Northbridge was established in 1782. The first meeting house was constructed in 1774. In 1834 a significant portion of the congregation withdrew to form the Congregational Church of Whitinsville (now the Village Congregational Church). The second meeting house was constructed in 1836. In 1879 another contingent of the church's members withdrew to form the Rockdale Congregational Church, though both churches...

Winthrop Club records, 1855-1990.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0032
Abstract The Winthrop club was founded in 1858. It was named for its original meeting place, The Winthrop House, it was established to provide social and intellectual environment for its members to discuss matters of theological understanding. Eventually the meeting place was moved to the Congregational Library and Archives. The collection contains record volumes which consist of meeting minutes, member lists and correspondences. Lectures and discussions are described, and sometimes transcribed or...

Filtered By

  • Subject: Photographs X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Names
American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions 1
Campbell, Gladys Perry 1
Campbell, Iain C. G. (Iain C. Gordon), 1912- 1
Centre Congregational Church (Northbridge, Mass.) 1
Chambers Street Church (Boston, Mass.) 1