Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview The East Parish Church in Barnstable was officially gathered in 1723 after the town of Barnstable was split into East and West Parishes in 1717. In 1836 the original meeting house was replaced by a new structure. This meeting house was destroyed by fire in 1905; construction on the third and final meeting house was completed in 1907. During the nineteenth-century the church joined the Unitarian movement and became the Barnstable Unitarian Church. The church continues to serve the local...
Overview The beginnings of Park Street Church date to 1804 when a "Religious Improvement Society" began holding weekly lectures and prayer meetings in Boston. Collection includes vital statistics, church records, Park Street Society and financial records, voluntary organizations, historical materials, Shawmut Church records.
Abstract Ipswich, Massachusetts, first known as Agawam, was settled by John Winthrop in 1633 and was incorporated the following year. The First Church in Ipswich was gathered on August 5, 1634, and the first meeting house was constructed the same year. Construction on the second meeting house was completed in 1647. In 1699 the third meeting house of the First Church was built on the north green. Members left to form new churches in 1681, 1714, 1747, and 1749. In 1749 the...
Overview The South Church in Ipswich, Massachusetts, was formally gathered in 1747 following ministerial angst between Ipswich's two ministers and a petition by parishioners in southern Ipswich who felt traveling to the First Church was too difficult. The first meeting house was completed in 1748 and construction on the second meeting house was completed in 1838. In 1922 the South Church rejoined the First Church to become the First and South Congregational Church. The South Church records document the...
Abstract The church was gathered in July of 1736 as Second Church in Rochester, Massachusetts, and didn't become Mattapoisett Congregational Church until 1860 after the town of Mattapoisett was incorporated. The early years of the church were marked by much contention, most notably regarding pastoral appointments and policies on singing. The collection contains records relating to membership, vital statistics, ecclesiastical councils, meeting minutes, and financial records.
Overview The town of Northbridge, Massachusetts, was incorporated in 1772 and the First Church in Northbridge was established in 1782. The first meeting house was constructed in 1774. In 1834 a significant portion of the congregation withdrew to form the Congregational Church of Whitinsville (now the Village Congregational Church). The second meeting house was constructed in 1836. In 1879 another contingent of the church's members withdrew to form the Rockdale Congregational Church, though both churches...
- Subject: Music in churches X
- Ipswich (Mass.) 2
- Aiken, Silas 1
- Barnstable (Mass.) 1
- Barnstable Unitarian Church (Barnstable, Mass.) 1
- Beecher, Edward 1
- Centre Congregational Church (Northbridge, Mass.) 1
- Conrad, Arcturus Z. (Arcturus Zodiac) 1
- East Parish Congregational Church (Barnstable, Mass.) 1
- First Church (Ipswich, Mass.) 1
- First Congregational Church (Mattapoisett, Mass.) 1
- First Congregational Church (Northbridge, Mass.) 1
- Griffin, Edward Dorr 1
- Kimball, David T. (David Tenney), 1782-1860 1
- Mattapoisett (Mass.) 1
- Murray, W. H. H. (William Henry Harrison ) 1
- Northbridge (Mass.) 1
- Ockenga, Harold John 1
- Park Street Church (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Rochester (Mass.) 1
- Second Church (Rochester, Mass.) 1
- Society for Religious Improvement (Boston, Mass.) 1
- South Church (Ipswich, Mass.) 1
- Stone, A. L. (Andrew Leete) 1
- Withrow, John L. (John Lindsay) 1 ∧ less