Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Abstract William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954...
Found in: Congregational Library & Archives