Congregational Christian Historical Society records, 1899-2010.
Scope and Contents
This collection includes photographs, printed material, Minutes and Committee Reports, Individual Correspondences and Files, CCHS Founding Documents, Celebrations and Anniversaries, Histories and Church Projects and financial information.
- Congregational Christian Historical Society (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.
Restrictions on Use
Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.
The Congregational Christian Historical Society was formed for multiple reasons, as noted in the original articles of incorporation. They included cultivating a deeper interest in the history of the Congregational Christian Churches in all aspects, to encourage and to participate in the creation, preservation and correlation of records, the scholarly use of historical materials and the production of historical works, to promote the observance of anniversaries and other occasions of historical interest, and the preservation of monuments and historical sites, and finally, to work in cooperation with the relevant instrumentalities of the United Church of Christ, the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches, the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference, the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, among other similar organizations. Frederick L. Fagley, the Society's first executive secretary, led the group while it was housed in New York, but following his death they moved to the Congregational House, located at 14 Beacon Street in Boston. By 2010, the organization had formally disbanded and its material and mission are now carried on by the Congregational Library and Archives.
3.49 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Congregational Christian Historical Society was formed to help preserve and make accessible the historical records of Congregationalists, Congregational Societies, and related monuments and historical sites. Frederick L. Fagley was the first executive secretary; following his death the Congregational Christian Historical Society moved to the Congregational House, located at 14 Beacon Street in Boston. By 2010 the organization had formally disbanded; its collections and mission are now held by the Congregational Library & Archives. This collection includes photographs, printed material, Minutes and Committee Reports, Individual Correspondences and Files, CCHS Founding Documents, Celebrations and Anniversaries, Histories and Church Projects and financial information.
The collection is arranged chronologically except for the Individual Correspondences and Files sub-series, which is arranged alphabetically.
Series 1: Photography and Printed Media, 1899-2005.
Series 2: Society Records, 1941-2009.
Subseries 1: Celebrations and Anniversaries, 1941-2005.
Subseries 2: CCHS Founding Documents, 1949-2009.
Subseries 3: Minutes and Committee Reports, 1951-2007.
Subseries 4: History, 1952-2000.
Subseries 5: Individual Correspondences and Files, 1953-2007.
Subseries 6: Church Projects, 1955-2004.
Series 3: Financial Information, 1949-2010.
Collection has been housed at the Congregational Library and Archives for sometime, first year it was received is unknown; Accession: 2014-37.
Processed by Jessica Steytler in 2005 and 2008. Re-processed by William McCarthy in September 2018.
- Congregational Christian Historical Society records, 1899-2010.
- William McCarthy
- Description rules
- Dacs2 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note