Skip to main content

Church membership.

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:

Marlborough, Mass. First Church records, 1704-2002.

 Collection
Identifier: RG1358
Abstract The First Parish Church was organized in 1666. Shortly after the formation of the First Congregational Evangelical Society in 1833, members of the First Church voted to worship with this society, and in 1835 the First Parish and the First Evangelical Congregational Society were incorporated as the Union Society. The church was renamed the Union Church in Marlborough to reflect this new merger, and was most recently renamed in 1913 as First Church. The First Congregational Church in...
Dates: 1704-2002

Mattapoisett, Mass. First Congregational Church records, 1736-1984.

 Collection
Identifier: RG4840
Abstract

The church was gathered in July of 1736 as Second Church in Rochester, Massachusetts, and didn't become Mattapoisett Congregational Church until 1860 after the town of Mattapoisett was incorporated. The early years of the church were marked by much contention, most notably regarding pastoral appointments and policies on singing. The collection contains records relating to membership, vital statistics, ecclesiastical councils, meeting minutes, and financial records.

Dates: 1736-1984

Maynard, Mass. Union Congregational Church records, 1850-2017.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5354
Abstract The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. It was first founded on July 23, 1850 as the Evangelical Union Society. Its creation formed when eight members of the community met at the newly built railroad station and voted to organize a Sunday School. Amory Maynard was the first Superintendent. The Evangelical Union Society was incorporated in 1852 with the first parish being called the Union Church. On August 10, 1927, a constitution and bylaws were adopted and the church...
Dates: 1850-2017

Medfield, Mass. First Parish Unitarian Church records, 1697-1970.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5309
Abstract The First Parish Church was founded in 1751 shortly after the incorporation of the town of Medfield. Rev. John Wilson was the first pastor. A second meeting house was constructed in 1706. The third and current meetinghouse was built in 1789. In 1813 the town and the parish were legally separated with members of the church incorporated as The First Parish. In 1827 a group of members of the First Parish petitioned for permission to withdraw from the First Parish, which was becoming...
Dates: 1697-1970

Medway, Mass. The Community Church records, 1750-1978.

 Collection
Identifier: RG4685
Abstract The Second Church of Christ was gathered on October 4, 1750. The church’s first minister, David Thurston, was called on April 24, 1752. Construction on a new church building atop “Rabbit Hill” began in 1813 and construction was completed in 1814. In 1838, 31 members of the church were dismissed to form a sister church, the Village Church in Medway. Following a church controversy that resulted in excommunications and expulsions from the Second Church, the Third Church in Medway was formed....
Dates: 1750-1978

Merrimac, Mass. Pilgrim Congregational Church records, 1725-1900.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0123
Abstract Parish organized in 1725; church founded in 1726 as Second Church of Christ in Amesbury, Mass. Merrimac separated from Amesbury in 1876 and in 1879 the church became the First Congregational Church, popularly known as Pilgrim Congregational Church. In 1879 the First Orthodox Congregational Society was incorporated, replacing the earlier West Parish Congregational Society. The First Orthodox Congregational Church of Merrimac was incorporated in 1894 and the First Orthodox Congregational...
Dates: 1725-1900

Middleboro, Mass. First Church of Middleboro records, 1702-1925.

 Collection
Identifier: RG4970
Abstract The First Congregational Church of Middleboro was first organized on December 26, 1694 and Samuel Fuller was ordained as the first minister. The First meeting house had been constructed previously in 1680 and the second was constructed in 1701. Ecclesiastical differences between competing factions resulted in the congregation splitting and the third meeting house being constructed in 1745. The congregation remerged in 1754. The fourth and present meeting house was built in 1828. The...
Dates: 1702-1925

Milliken, Colo. German Congregational Church records, 1918-1975.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5507
Abstract

The Volga Germans of Milliken, Colorado, formed the German Congregational Church in 1918. The church joined with the United Church of Christ at some point after 1957. The church closed in 1977. This collection contains two registers that contain vital membership records which include baptismal records, marriage records, confirmation records, and Sunday school records.

Dates: 1918-1975