Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Variants: Anathema; Expulsion
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The First Congregational Church of Abington, MA was established in 1711 and in addition to the 1st Church there were three additional churches founded in the same town: 2nd church of south Abington, now Whitman, 3rd church of east Abington, now Rockland, and 4th church at North Abington. The First Church in Abington also housed a Sunday school that was established in 1818 and is thought to be one of the oldest Sunday schools in the country. The motto of the church is "None too old to study the...
Abstract The First Church of Christ of Marblehead was established on August 13, 1684 and Rev. Samuel Cheever was ordained the first minister. The first meeting house was built atop Old Burial Hill in 1638 and the second meeting house was constructed 1695. The third, and final, meeting house, built of stone, was constructed in 1824. Disagreements over the appointment of ministers led to the establishment of the Second Church in 1716 and the Third Church in 1858. Now known as the Old North Church, the...
Abstract Originally named Boggastow in Nipmuck Territory, then part of Medfield, Medway was settled in 1657 when an increasing number of colonists settled the land west of the Charles River. Medway was incorporated on October 25, 1713 and the decision to immediately build its own church was made at town meeting on November 23, 1713. The Church of Christ, later known as First Church of Christ, was organized on October 7, 1714. The section known as East Medway separated in 1885 to form the town of Millis;...
Abstract The First Christian Union Church and Society were formed in the Pottersville, Somerset area as early as 1838 by a "Christian Band" comprising thirty members, though the church was not officially incorporated until 1911. In 1939 the name was changed to the Congregational Christian Church of Somerset Centre. These records consists of three bound volumes, including the earliest record books of the church and society, respectively, and a book of meeting minutes and bylaws of the Ladies' Industrial...
Abstract The town of Stoneham was incorporated in 1725. A vote in 1726 provided for the building of a meetinghouse and the First Congregational Church was organized in 1729. The first pastor was Rev. James Osgood who was ordained in September 1729. Rev. John Cleaveland was pastor from 1785 until an ecclesiastical council dissolved his relationship with the town in 1894. The second meeting house was constructed in 1803 and the third in 1840. This collection contains the early records the Church. Included...