Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Pleasant Street Congregational Church was organized in December 1842, as the Orthodox Congregational Church of West Cambridge. Many of the original members of the Orthodox Congregational Church had been members of the First Congregational Church in Arlington but left when the church turned Unitarian in 1828. Between 1940 and 1953, Orthodox Congregational Church was renamed Pleasant Street Congregational Church. The church would officially close its doors in early 2011. This collection contains...
Abstract The Porter Evangelical Church in North Bridgewater, later the Porter Congregational Church in Brockton, was established in 1850 by members who left the First Parish Congregational Church over ecclesiastical differences. The church purchased a building just north of the First Parish Congregational Church in 1851 and the building was further renovated in 1883, 1925, and 1950. The Wendell Avenue Church and Waldo Congregational Church were both formed out of area missions administered by the Porter...
Abstract In 1836 a significant portion of the members of the First Parish Congregational Church withdrew their membership to form the South Congregational Church in Plain Village, now Campello, Brockton. The first meeting house was constructed in 1836 and The South Congregational Church of North Bridgewater was formally gathered on January 3, 1837 with Rev. John Dwight as the first minister. On May 23, 1853, the first meeting house was destroyed by fire; the second meeting house was constructed a year...
Abstract The town of Northbridge, Massachusetts, was incorporated in 1772 and the First Church in Northbridge was established in 1782. The first meeting house was constructed in 1774. In 1834 a significant portion of the congregation withdrew to form the Congregational Church of Whitinsville (now the Village Congregational Church). The second meeting house was constructed in 1836. In 1879 another contingent of the church's members withdrew to form the Rockdale Congregational Church, though both churches...