Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract Stearns Chapel was erected in 1863 and was located on Harvard Street, near Windsor; it was designed primarily as a Mission Sabbath School and operated for a number of years by the First and Second Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches. The name was changed to Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport in 1871. The collection includes church records, financial records, ministers’ records, membership records, auxiliary group records, historical information, orders of service and...
Overview In 1888, a group of individuals gathered in order to discuss a house of worship in the area of North Englewood in Chicago, Illinois. C. W. Monroe donated a cottage for use as a house of worship and services began soon after. By the following year, the small cottage had become insufficient to sit all the congregants and a new temporary place of worship was found in a nearby store. The Green Street Congregational Church became fully organized in the summer of 1889 and a new meeting house was...
Overview The Washington Park Congregational Church was gathered in 1891 and remained open until 1927. It was located on South Michigan Ave in the Washington Park area of Chicago. The records in this collection gather together administrative and organizational records, ministerial and church correspondence, and the church's vital records.
Overview The Second Church in Dorchester was first organized on January 1, 1808 by 64 members of First Church. The first official pastor for the newly formed Second Church was Dr. John Codman. Codman was a member of an influential family and graduated from Harvard. His pastorate continues to be the longest for the church and during this time was regularly visited by Daniel Webster and (on occasion) John Adams. The last pastor of Second Church in Dorchester was Reverend Donald P. Brickley. He facilitated...
Overview The Calvinistic Congregational Church of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, was formally gathered as the Calvinistic Congregational Society on June 14, 1805. The first meeting house was built in 1806, the second in 1845, and the third, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, in 1897. The church joined the United Church of Christ in 1961. In 1967, the church joined with the First Methodist Church of Fitchburg to form the Faith United Parish. This collection documents the history and...
Overview Haverhill was first settled by Puritans in 1640. Rev. John Ward was officially installed as the pastor of the First Parish in 1645 and the first meeting house was constructed in 1648. The second meeting house was completed in 1699 and the third was completed in 1766. In 1833 the First Parish became Unitarian and the Congregationalist dissenters formed the Independent Congregational Church and Society which was later renamed to the Centre Congregational Church and Society. In 1859 a large group...
Overview William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954...
Abstract Union Congregational Church was formally organized in 1896 in the Point Shirley neighborhood of Winthrop, Massachusetts. On February 22, 1896, a meeting led by Arthur Truslow met to discuss the creation of a "Christian Church at the Beach". The neighborhood consisted of roughly 200 families during the winter, the population increasing to 2,500 during the summer months. At that present time, families had to travel to Congregational Churches in Revere or Chelsea for service Winthrop had only just...
- Subject: Worship programs X
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- Atlanta University 1
- Baker, Smith. 1
- Barnard, Edward, 1720-1774 1
- Calvinistic Congregational Church (Fitchburg, Mass.) 1
- Cambridge (Mass.) 1
- Centre Congregational Church (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- Codman, John, 1782-1847 1
- Dorchester Central Congregational Church (Dorchester, Boston, Mass.) 1
- Einerson, Richard J. 1
- Erikson, David M. 1
- Faith United Parish (Fitchburg, Mass.) 1
- First Church in Fitchburg (Fitchburg, Mass.) 1
- First Congregational Church (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- First Methodist Episcopal Church (Fitchburg, Mass.) 1
- First Parish Church (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- Fitchburg (Mass.) 1
- Green Street Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Hampton Normal Agricultural Institute (Va.) 1
- Harvard Congregational Church (Dorchester, Boston, Mass.) 1
- Haverhill (Mass.) 1
- Independent Congregational Church and Society (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- Lincoln (R.!.) 1
- Little, Arthur, Rev. 1
- North Congregational Church (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- North Parish Community Church (Haverhill, Mass.) 1
- Pierce, Jason Noble, 1880-1948 1
- Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Richards, Andrew, Rev. 1
- Rollstone Congregational Church (Fitchburg, Mass.) 1
- Sabbath School Society of Fitchburg. Library 1
- Sayles Memorial Church (Lincoln, R.I.) 1
- Sayles, William Francis, 1824-1894 1
- Second Church (Dorchester, Boston, Mass.) 1
- St. Mark Church of Christ (Burbank, Ill.) 1
- Stearns Chapel (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Union Congregational Church (Winthrop, Mass.) 1
- Washburn College 1
- Washington Park Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Wintrop (Mass.) 1 ∧ less