Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 21
Overview John Cleaveland (1722-1799) was an early leader in the "separatist" Christian movement. His career can be traced to a conflict with the administration of Yale College, at which he was a student. Refusing to repent for attending a separatist congregation, he was expelled from the college in 1745. Subsequently he served as a separatist minister in Boston and at the Chebacco Church in Ipswich. He also served as a military chaplain in the French and Indian War and the American Revolution....
Overview The union formed in 1857 out of meetings held by Chicago pastors. They gathered together for prayer and to improve the relationships between the various churches. They also worked together on sermons, career development and coordinating special activities. It is not known when the union stopped meeting. This collection contains meeting minutes and record of incidentals. The incidental record contains volume two but volume one is missing.
Overview Edward Franklin Williams was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts on July 22, 1832. He graduated from Yale in 1856 after which he spent three years teaching in Connecticut and Massachusetts. He then went to the Princeton Theological Seminary where he graduated in 1861. He was licensed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick in 1861. When the Civil War broke out, Williams joined the Christian Commission where he distributed religious literature, medical aid, and various supplies to Union troops. The...
Overview Frederick Irving Kuhns is a pastor who focused much of his scholary work on Illinois Congregationalism and a variety of topics in the Old Northwest. He was educated at Drake University and his research has been used by mulitple scholars up to today. This collection contains scholarly work by Kuhns, mainly focusing on the Northwest and slavery. Additionally, there is a set of correspondences between Kuhns and a variety of individuals.
Overview Howard James Conn was born June 19, 1911 in Fresno California. He attended Fresno High School, followed by Fresno State College and Stanford University where he received is B.A. He studied philosophy at Harvard as a graduate student and then completed his B.D. at Yale University. He served as minister to a number of churches, with the majority of his time devoted to Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis, where he served as Senior Minister from 1944-1976. During his career he held many...
Overview John Marsh was born on November 2, 1742 in Haverhill, Massachusetts. He graduated from Harvard in 1761. On January 12, 1774 John Marsh was ordained as the minister of the First Church of Christ in Wethersfield, Connecticut, a position he kept until his death on September 13, 1821. This collection includes two manuscript sermons.
Overview William Francis Sayles gathered together 36 residents of Moshassuck (later Saylesville) in June 1860. At first they organized the Friends' District Union Sabbath School, which would be become Sayles Memorial Church. Mr. Sayles had originally opened the school for his employees' children but in 1873 decided to build Sayles Memorial Chapel. The building was partially a memorial to both his and his brother's dead children. The church remained a part of the Sayles estate until the 1950s. In 1954...
- Subject: Clergy -- United States X
- American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. Japan Mission 1
- Beard, Ruben A., 1851-1941 1
- Beloit College 1
- Butricks, Wills N. 1
- Chicago Theological Seminary 1
- Cleaveland, John, 1722-1799 1
- Congregational Charitable Society 1
- Congregational Conference of Ohio. 1
- Congregational Ministers' Union of Chicago and Vicinity. 1
- Conn, Howard (Howard James), 1911-2000 1
- Einerson, Richard J. 1
- Erikson, David M. 1
- First Church of Christ (Wethersfield, Conn.) 1
- First Congregational Church (Fargo, N.D.) 1
- First Congregational Society (New Bedford, Mass.) 1
- Hale, Edward Everett, 1822-1909 1
- Holt, Arthur E. (Arthur Erastus), 1876-1942 1
- Howard Avenue Congregational Church (New Haven, Conn.) 1
- Jefferson, Thomas 1
- Kuhns, Frederick Irving, 1903- 1
- Lincoln (R.!.) 1
- Lyman, Joseph 1
- Marsh, Ebenezer Grant 1
- Marsh, John, 1742-1821 1
- Martyn, Sanford Smith 1
- Massachusetts Convention of Congregational Ministers 1
- McGiffert, Arthur Cushman, Jr., 1892-1993 1
- Merom Conference Center 1
- Merwin, Samuel 1
- Miami Association of Congregational Churches and Ministers (Ohio) 1
- Miami Conference of Congregational Churches (Ohio) 1
- Minister's Club (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Princeton Theological Seminary. 1
- Sayles Memorial Church (Lincoln, R.I.) 1
- Sayles, William Francis, 1824-1894 1
- South Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Tabernacle Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Taylor, James 1
- Union Christian College (Merom, Ind.) 1
- United States Christian Commission. Army Committee 1
- Williams, Edward F. (Edward Franklin), 1832-1919 1
- Wintersteen, Prescott Browning 1
- Woods, Abigail 1
- Woods, Leonard, 1774-1854 1
- Woodwell, William H., 1844-1926 1
- Worthley, Harold Field 1
- Yale University (Divinity School) 1
- Yale University. 1 ∧ less