Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview The First Parish Congregational Church in Brockton was originally founded as the Fourth Parish Church in Bridgewater in 1737 and formally gathered as such in 1740. The name of the church changed, in 1823, to First Parish Congregational Church to reflect the incorporation of the town of North Bridgewater. In 1827 a portion of the church's membership left to form the South Congregational Church and in 1850 another portion left to form the Porter Evangelical Congregational Church. In 1874 the town...
Overview The Porter Evangelical Church in North Bridgewater, later the Porter Congregational Church in Brockton, was established in 1850 by members who left the First Parish Congregational Church over ecclesiastical differences. The church purchased a building just north of the First Parish Congregational Church in 1851 and the building was further renovated in 1883, 1925, and 1950. The Wendell Avenue Church and Waldo Congregational Church were both formed out of area missions administered by the Porter...
Overview In 1836 a significant portion of the members of the First Parish Congregational Church withdrew their membership to form the South Congregational Church in Plain Village, now Campello, Brockton. The first meeting house was constructed in 1836 and The South Congregational Church of North Bridgewater was formally gathered on January 3, 1837 with Rev. John Dwight as the first minister. On May 23, 1853, the first meeting house was destroyed by fire; the second meeting house was constructed a year...
- Names: North Bridgewater (Mass.) X