Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 15

Chicago Area Project records, 1932-1937.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5338
Overview The Chicago Area Project (CAP) was founded in the 1930's by Clifford Shaw, a University of Chicago sociologist, who believed every neighborhood could reduce juvenile delinquency by improving community life. This collection contains the records from the first decade of CAP's operation and includes financial records, field reports, and correspondence.

Chicago, Ill. Avalon Park Community Church records, 1932-1942.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5339
Overview The Avalon Park Community Church was first formed in 1896 as a methodist protestant church. In 1932 they offically became a congregationalist church, where they functioned until 1953, eventually merging with Park Manor Congregational Church. The Avalon Park Community Church was first formed in 1896 as a methodist protestant church and in 1932 they offically became a congregationalist church. The records in this collection includes field reports, a constitution, and personnel files.

Chicago, Ill. Bethlehem Community Center records, 1944-1948.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5340
Overview The Bethlehem Community Center was an important resource for the surrounding community. The collection contains meeting minutes and newsletters.

Chicago, Ill. Cragin Congregational Church records, 1883-1932.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5274
Overview Cragin Congregational Church opened in 1883 in Chicago's North End. Throughout its history, the church remained small and recieved financial support from the City Missionary Society. This collection includes meeting minutes, the church's constitution, and financial records.

Chicago, Ill. Fellowship Congregational Church records, 1897-1902.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5345
Overview The Fellowship Congregational Church of Chicago was opened in 1898 and closed in 1929. The volume in this collection contains meeting minutes for the Fellowship Congregational Church.

Chicago, Ill. Fourth Congregational Church records, 1893-1992.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5135
Abstract Fourth Congregational Church of Chicago traces its origins back to a Congregational Sunday school which started in 1867 and met in a blacksmith shop. From this Sunday school sprang three churches, Grace, Cortland Street, and Maplewood. These three churches merged in 1916 and took the name Fourth Church. The records include finances, youth education and outreach, membership records, correspondence, reports, and church newsletters.

Chicago, Ill. Green Street Congregational Church records, 1927-1943.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5336
Overview In 1888, a group of individuals gathered in order to discuss a house of worship in the area of North Englewood in Chicago, Illinois. C. W. Monroe donated a cottage for use as a house of worship and services began soon after. By the following year, the small cottage had become insufficient to sit all the congregants and a new temporary place of worship was found in a nearby store. The Green Street Congregational Church became fully organized in the summer of 1889 and a new meeting house was...

Chicago, Ill. Millard Avenue Congregational Church records, 1880-1973.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5344
Overview Millard Avenue Congregational Church first formed in 1882 and served the community of North Lawndale for years. For a small section of time, the church was known as Lawndale Congregational Church. By 1976, due to demographic shifts, the church served a majority Hispanic population. The church continued to operate until it closed its doors in 1999. This collection contains meeting minutes, financial records, the church covenant and constitution, church and committee reports, a guestbook,...

Chicago, Ill. New First Congregational Church records, 1896-1918.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5348
Overview The Union Park Congregational Church first gathered in 1860 as a mission of the First Congregational Church of Chicago. In 1869, construction began on a new gothic revival church building, designed by Gurdon P. Randall. Construction of the building was completed in 1871 and was large enough to hold all of its 1300 members. The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the Mayor's Office, City Council, and General Relief...

Chicago, Ill. Summerdale Community Church records, 1890-1954.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5218
Overview The Summerdale Congregational Church formed in 1899 out of a Sunday school that met in the Summerdale railway station. A year later, the Summerdale Congregational Church was organized. The records include correspondence, treasurer’s reports and receipts, church and committee minutes, and vital records.