Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3

Cambridge, Mass. First Church records, 1784-1968.

 Collection
Identifier: RG4935
Overview Cambridge, Massachusetts, was fist settled in 1630 and the first meeting house was erected in 1632. Public worship began in 1633 with Thomas Hooker and the First Church of Cambridge was formally established in 1636 with Thomas Shepard as the first minister. In 1650, 1706, and 1757 the second, third, and fourth meeting houses were constructed. The Parish split in 1829 between Unitarians and traditional Congregationalists after the parish severed its contract with Abiel Holmes over his refusal to...

Cambridge, Mass. Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport records, 1863-1992.

 Collection
Identifier: RG2350
Abstract Stearns Chapel was erected in 1863 and was located on Harvard Street, near Windsor; it was designed primarily as a Mission Sabbath School and operated for a number of years by the First and Second Congregational, Baptist and Methodist churches. The name was changed to Pilgrim Congregational Church of Cambridgeport in 1871. The collection includes church records, financial records, ministers’ records, membership records, auxiliary group records, historical information, orders of service and...

Cambridge, Mass. Second Church covenant, 1739.

 Collection
Identifier: RG0833
Overview In 1725, citing the long distance required to attend worship services, a group of parishioners from the First Church of Christ in Cambridge requested that a precinct be formed in Menotomy village, now Arlington. This request was granted in 1732 and the Second Church of Cambridge was formaly gathered in 1739. This collection contains the original covenant of the Second Church in Cambridge. which was created during the formation of the church.