Skip to main content

Lucy A. Wilson Moore's history of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois, 1960-1963.

 Collection
Identifier: RG5352

Scope and Contents

The collection includes a typewritten historical sketch of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois. The history includes biographical sketches of the organization's presidents, the historical roots of women's missionary societies in Illinois, and the complex consolidation of various congregational associations in the 1920s and 1930s which resulted in the creation of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois.

Dates

  • 1960-1963

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.

Biographical / Historical

The Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois was an important institution which provided both monetary aid and personnel to local churches as well as providing aid for global missionary work. The organization's roots trace back to the Woman's Board of Missions of the Interior, founded 1868, the Illinois Branch of the Woman's Board of Missions of the Interior, founded 1878, and the Illinois Woman's Home Mission Union, founded 1886. In 1927, the Illinois Branch of the Woman's Board of Missions of the Interior and the Illinois Woman's Home Mission Union merged to form the Congregational Woman's Missionary Society of Illinois. In 1931, following the formation of the Congregational Christian Churches denomination, the Congregational Woman's Missionary Society of Illinois changed its name to the Woman's Union of the Congregational-Christian Conferences of Illinois. In 1933, the organization changed its name one last time to the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois.

Extent

1 Volume

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois was an important institution which provided both monetary aid and personnel to local churches as well as providing aid for global missionary work.The collection includes a typewritten historical sketch of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois. The history includes biographical sketches of the organization's presidents, the historical roots of women's missionary societies in Illinois, and the complex consolidation of various congregational associations in the 1920s and 1930s which resulted in the creation of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois.

Acquisition Information

The volume was originally donated by Marguerite Davison in 1963. The collection was officially tranfered to the archives in 2014 with accession number 2014-124.

Location of Copies

There are three known copies of the volume; in 1963 one copy was given to the Congregational Library & Archives, one to the Chicago Theological Seminary and the final copy given to the Woman's Fellowship of the Congregational Christian Conference of Illinois, Oak Park, Ill. The current locations of these later two copies is unknown.

Processing Information

Processed by William McCarthy, August 2017, using DACS Second Edition. Re-processed in January 2019 by William McCarthy
Title
Lucy A. Wilson Moore's history of the Congregational Christian Woman's Fellowship of Illinois, 1960-1963.
Status
Completed
Author
William McCarthy
Date
2019-01-22
Description rules
3
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository

Contact:
14 Beacon Street
Suite 200
Boston MA 02108
617-523-0470