Foxboro, Mass. Bethany Congregational Church records, 1779-1974.
Scope and Contents
Paper Records- Covenant; constitutions; certificate of incorporation; confession of faith (copy); ministerial correspondence, 1779-1970; annual reports, 1942-1964; church minutes, 1779-1953; letters of discipline, ca. 1800-1889; articles of faith; relations for communion, ca. 1763-1850; letters of dismissal, ca. 1800-1958; membership correspondence, 1875-1899; membership directories, 1867-1973 (gaps); library catalogue, 1865; baptisms, 1879-1914; pew assessments and pew plan; receipt books, 1891-1935; parish records. Microfilm covers: Church and society minutes; membership registers; baptisms; misc. treasurer's book; pew deeds. Majority of the records pertain to non-prudential or ecclesiastical activities. Date range of microfilm is 1779-1914.
Biographical / Historical
Church gathered 1779 and incorporated in 1915; formerly Orthodox. A separation occurred during the pastorate of the second minister, Rev. Daniel Loring, when an undetermined number of church members gathered at Seth Robinson's house and worshipped apart from the rest of the congregation. The congregation's movement for financial independence from 1821-1824 caused its diaconate to expand to a board of five; the funding of the minister's salary and raising of money by subscription for a new brick building were added to the traditional duties. The new building was constructed in 1823; the construction necessitated the organization of a Board of Trustees and the Trustees of the Ministerial Fund was incorporated 1824. These activities marked the beginning of autonomy for the church, the interdependence of the church and town of Foxboro ending ten years before statewide disestablishment in Mass. Church membership grew steadily during the 1800s, as did the church organizations. The Society was organized in 1853; in 1855 the church and society took the names Orthodox Congregational Church and Society. The name Bethany Congregational Church was adopted ca. 1960s; extant as Foxboro Bethany Congregational UCC in 1996.
6.39 Cubic Feet (6 records cartons; 1 document case; 2 reels 35 mm positive microfilm)
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script