Skip to main content

First Congregational Church (Abington, Mass.)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1714 (date of establishment)
  • Existence: 1968 (date of dissolution)

The First Church in Abington called its first minister, Rev. Samuel Brown, in 1711. Prior to that call, the community had been lead by layman Elder William Pratt as the community, largely agricultural, had been denied its petition for incorporation as a town by the General Court. Rev. Brown wasn't ordained until 1714 at which time the church records show eight male members (no female members are listed). Ten years later church membership had grown to 46. Eventually, the church membership grew large enough that it became feasible to establish three "daughter churches" in the Abington area.

The church's history reflects strong stances on political and social issues. In 1835, the church voted to declare slavery to be a sin and became active in the abolition movement. A year later the church became a strong supporter of the temperance movement. The church also supported the formation of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. The church's support of missions continued into the 20th century. In 1968 First Church merged with North Congregational Church, formerly Fourth Church, and became United Church of Christ, Abington.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Abington, Mass. First Church records 1714-1949.

 Collection
Identifier: RG4969
Abstract The First Congregational Church of Abington, MA was established in 1711 and in addition to the 1st Church there were three additional churches founded in the same town: 2nd church of south Abington, now Whitman, 3rd church of east Abington, now Rockland, and 4th church at North Abington. The First Church in Abington also housed a Sunday school that was established in 1818 and is thought to be one of the oldest Sunday schools in the country. The motto of the church is "None too old to study the...
Dates: 1714-1949