Pews and pew rights.
Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 34 Collections and/or Records:
Sturbridge, Mass. Federated Church of Sturbridge and Fiskdale records, 1736-1999.
Collection
Identifier: RG5194
Abstract
The land that is modern Sturbridge, Massachusetts, was first visited by English Puritans in 1644. Sturbridge wasn’t settled by English colonists until 1729 by Medfield residents. Construction of the first meeting house was completed in 1734. The Congregational Church in Sturbridge was established on September 29, 1736. In 1747 members of the church withdrew to form a separatist church which later became the Fiskdale Baptist Church. Construction on the second meeting house was completed in...
Dates:
1736-1999
West Brookfield, Mass. First Congregational Church records, 1754-1917.
Collection
Identifier: RG1179
Abstract
The town of Brookfield was first settled during the 1660s. The first meeting house in Brookfield was built atop Foster's Hill in Brookfield and shortly after construction began on the second meeting house, the First Church was officially organized in 1717. West Brookfield split from Brookfield in 1848 and the First Church became Congregational Church. The church joined the United Church of Christ in 1964. The records include membership lists, church correspondence, church and parish meeting...
Dates:
1754-1917
Weymouth, Mass. Old South Church records, 1723-1905.
Collection
Identifier: RG5273
Abstract
The Second Church in Weymouth, also known as the South Church, was gathered in 1723 with James Bayley ordained as the first minister. The first meeting house was constructed in 1722 and the second in 1785. The ordination of a Universalist minister in 1834 resulted in a rift in the church membership with the orthodox members eventually forming the Union Church in 1842. The third meeting house was constructed in 1854. In 1892 the Second Church was incorporated as the Old South Church in...
Dates:
1723-1905
York, Me. First Parish Church records, 1731-1927.
Collection
Identifier: RG5392
Abstract
The First Parish Church in York, Maine was established at some point between 1662 and 1673 with Shubael Drummer ordained as the first minister. Rev. Drummer was killed during a Native American raid in 1692 and was followed by Samuel Moody in 1698. Rev. Moody's pastorate ended in 1747 with his death. He was followed by Samuel Lyman in 1749 who served as minister until his death in 1810. Included within the collection are church and parish records, financial records, and vital records.
Dates:
1731-1927