Boston, Mass. Salem and Mariners' Church records, 1827-1879.
Scope and Contents
Within this collection, there are multiple different volumes of information on church members, as well as historical context for the church building. There are many meeting minutes, treasury reports, and voting sessions present in this collection. Correspondence between clergymen and church members is also abundant, as well as information about church services. Ecclesiastical council meetings between different churches in the Boston area that include the Salem Street and Mariners' Church(es) are also present in this collection.
Dates
- 1827-1879
Creator
- Salem and Mariners' Church (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Access to this collection is unrestricted and open to the public.
Restrictions on use
Items in this collection are subject to U.S. Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine the copyright status of collection items and to secure any permissions necessary for their reproduction and publication. Requests for permission to publish material must be discussed with the archivist or librarian.
Biographical / Historical
The Hanover church was organized in 1822, and out of that grew the Salem Street church. Salem church had 32 male and 66 female members, of these 77 came from the Hanover Church. The building was dedicated in 1827, measured 74 by 71 feet, with 134 pews on the lower floor and 32 in the gallery. They were at a disadvantage to other churches in the Boston area because they did not have a permanent clergyman to lead them, until George Blagden finally accepted their offer, possibly in 1830.
During Reverend Blagden’s almost six-year term at the Salem Street Church, the congregation grew by 275 people. His wife started the juvenile society and maternal meetings at the church. After his term in 1837, a new pastor was elected, Joseph H. Towne. In 1842 alone, 153 people were welcomed into the church under Towne’s pastorship. Edward Beecher was then installed as pastor in 1844.
During Edward Beecher’s pastorship, the church building underwent a series of renovations from 1844-1852, and cost $13,500. There was no pastor for a while after his resignation, but then George W. Field took the pulpit from 1856-1862. After the renovations were completed, there were discussions about selling the church in 1866, because there was no permanent minister to lead the services.
Mariners' Church was formed in 1823, and they too had trouble keeping a permanent pastor. It was renamed to the Green Street Church in 1826, and then renamed again back to the Mariners Church in 1830. There were 4 ministers that represented the Mariners' Church; William Jenks, Stephen Bailey, Jonathan Greenleaf, and D. M. Lord.
The Salem Street Church finally merged with the Mariners' Church in January of 1871, and together formed the Salem and Mariners' Church. They sold the building to The First Methodist Episcopal Church for the cost of the renovations, which totaled $13,500.
After the merger, the Salem and Mariners' Church occupied the Methodist House on Hanover Street. The church dissolved in 1879.
Extent
1.09 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
English
Abstract
When the Salem Street Church formed from the Hanover Church in 1822, there were 98 members. The building was dedicated in 1827, and then George Blagden became the first minister of the Salem Street Church around 1830. During his term as minister, 275 people joined the congregation; during Joseph Towne’s term as minister, 153 people joined as well. While Edward Beecher was minister, the Salem Street Church underwent numerous renovations, and after he left the church, there were discussions of selling the church. Mariners' Church was formed in 1823, and also struggled with retaining a permanent minister. The two churches merged in 1871, and became the Salem and Mariners' Church. The church occupied the Methodist House on Hanover Street until it dissolved in 1879.
Within this collection there is member information, correspondence between clergy members, notes on voting sessions, meeting minutes, and treasury reports.
Arrangement
This collection has been arranged into 3 series, one containing Salem Street Church records, one containing Mariners' Church records, and one containing Salem and Mariners' Church records. Each of these series are arranged chronologically by start date.
Series 1: Salem Street Church records, 1827-1868
Series 2: Mariners' Church Records, 1837-1867
Series 3: Salem and Mariners' Church records, 1868-1879
Acquisition Information
No acquisition information is available for this collection.
Bibliography
Processing Information
Processed by Liv Murphy on February 25, 2025.
- Beecher, Edward, 1803-1895
- Blagden, George W. (George Washington), 1802-1884
- Boston (Mass.) -- Church history.
- Church correspondence.
- Church finance.
- Church membership.
- Church records and registers.
- Clergy conferences.
- Covenants (Church polity).
- Mariners' Church (Boston, Mass.)
- Pews and pew rights.
- Salem Street Church (Boston, Mass.)
- Salem and Mariners' Church (Boston, Mass.)
Creator
- Salem and Mariners' Church (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
- Mariners' Church (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
- Salem Street Church (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
- Tenney, Samuel, 1777-1854 (Person)
- Title
- Boston, Mass. Salem and Mariners' Church records, 1827-1879.
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Liv Murphy
- Date
- 2025/02/25
- Description rules
- 3
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Congregational Library & Archives Repository